Moving and storing fine art takes extra care and attention. Many factors can easily damage art pieces, reducing their aesthetic and financial value. While many people are aware of arts’ inherent fragility, few may be aware of the options they have to ensure their art pieces are protected and preserved.
Art handling takes great care to manage the storage and movement of precious objects. There are many aspects to this process, such as reducing exposure to environmental hazards, proper packaging and procedures that reduce risk of accidental damage. Fine art shippers are trained in the assessment of a piece destined for movement or storage, in order to carefully plan the next steps.
Heat, moisture and accidental impact can all damage a fine art piece. These are just the more obvious hazards, however. The following can all reduce the integrity of an art piece, resulting in harm that may not be visible to the untrained eye, but is recognizable to an art expert or appraiser:
– Natural oils from ungloved hands that cause stains and corrosion
– Heat and humidity that cause the fine art to degrade and become misshapen
– Light exposure to light sensitive objects or materials
– Accidental bumps from various objects while the piece of art is being shifted or admired
– Inadequate planning for artwork packaging and shipping before storage or move
– Too many personnel moving art with poor communication between the team
Fortuntely, diligent attention to the placement of art in your home and partnership with an art moving company during times of transition can keep your art in pristine condition. This is a detail-oriented process, but the rewards of the effort are evident in the long-term preservation of artwork.
Fine art shipping companies focus on the careful transport of fine art. Because art is potentially vulnerable at all stages of shipping, expert handlers do more than move the art from A to B. They take care of the entire process, greatly reducing the risk of harm to the piece. Here are the general steps:
– Remove the art piece from its current location
– Properly package the artistic works and art pieces using appropriate wrapping materials and containers
– Safely and securely ship the piece ensuring movement does not cause damage
– Unpack and install the piece in its new location
There are some basic artwork handling guidelines fine art shipping services should follow when trusted with a piece of art. In general, they will touch the piece as little as possible to prevent accidental damage or excessive exposure to damaging elements. At the same time, they will typically use two hands instead of one and grasp objects from the bottom in order to ensure proper support. Working in small teams, they will follow a specific plan for the care of the preciousitems.
At Trefler’s, the satisfaction of our customers is the utmost priority. We adhere to policies that follow standard practices for the care of museum-level art. Every piece is precious to us, whether it’s a family heirloom or a painting recently purchased at auction.
Our art handlers have over two decades of experience with various forms of art, including renown pieces by historic artists. We pride ourselves on providing secure, safe and reliable service to everyone who trusts us with their art pieces.
For more information about Trefler’s art handling services in Newton, Massachusetts, contact us today.